Thursday, March 24, 2011

Sole possession of 1st place

So we kicked @$$ last night.  A large halftime lead can be a dangerous thing (as we have seen in the past); but last night it was just dangerous for Atlanta.  It's hard to find much fault with a 33-point victory, but I can.

I know the guys get excited to pad their stats, but it is not classy to kick a team when they are down.  In the last 5 minutes, we should have let the clock run 20 seconds or so and then just take a shot because we had to.  Let the game end quickly.  There was no need to be shooting 3's with 15 seconds left on the clock when we were up by 40 and we were in the waning minutes of the game.

I do like the fact that Tom T let the starters rest.  We got a wake-up call when Boozer got hurt late in a rout.  Phil Jackson used to let MJ and Scottie rest when the game was in the bag.  Tom has not done that so much this season, but he did last night.

And how about a shout-out to Memphis for taking down Boston tonight?  And they did it in Boston no less.  I didn't see the game, just the highlights on NBA.com.  Now, I like Boston.  But I like the Bulls more and would like to see us have the easier road in the playoffs (plus, home court advantage has been huge for us this year).  I would like to see Boston beat Miami (my feelings about Miami will be saved for another rant), and us beat the Celtics in the Eastern Conference Finals.  Then I'd love to stomp on Kobe and the perennial Lakers, but I'd much rather they get embarrassed and knocked out in the first or second round.  I'd like the Mav's to take out the Lakers, then have the Spurs win the West.  Then, Bulls win it all in 6. 

The problem with this fantasy is experience.  Often, teams have to knock at the door a few times before they figure out what it takes to win the championship.  Other than Coach Thib's, no one on our roster has ever even been to the finals.  That could hurt us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment